Sunday, July 29, 2007

Star Trek 1.7 (What are little girls made of?)

First Aired: October 20, 1966

Cast:
Michael Strong (Dr. Roger Korby)
Ted Cassidy (Ruk)
Harry Basch (Dr. Brown)
Budd Albright (Rayburn)

Writer: Robert Bloch

This episode has good points as well as bad. The most frustrating thing is that we already have themes repeated from earlier in the series - and bearing in mind that this is episode seven...
In this episode, we get to see another Kirk lookalike, just as we did in the episode before last. Okay, this one is a robot (or android or whatever) and we have already seen similarities between other episodes. Perhaps they should have looked at showing the episodes in a different order - I am watching them as the DVD presents them, which is in transmission order not production order.
The good: Ruk is massive, it really does look like he can easily throw Shatner around. Sherry Jackson, the actress who plays Andrea, is rather lovely - normally the sixties look doesn't do much for me, but she looks fantastic. It is also nice that one of the background regulars - in this case Christine Chapel - has a large part to play in the episode. And the effects when there are two Kirks are pretty good for the time. The food they eat in the meal about halfway through the episode looks like a current brand of dried dog food. (I list that as a good as it made me laugh!)
The end became a little melodramatic. The twist, that Christine's ex was a robot, was somewhat obvious, and the idea that all the robots destroyed the race that made them is not new. In fact, I am sure it will be repeated at some point soon!
So, okay, but not great.
Crew Deaths: 2
Total Crew Deaths So Far: 19
Score: 5/10

2 comments:

I.Q. 84 - seriously funny said...

This is one of my favorites. Mostly because of Ruk and Andrea! And oh, my God, ANDREA!!! This was the best looking chick in the Star Trek series by a mile!!! And that outfit! WOW!

My favorite scene is when Andrea puts her arms around Roger, and says " to love you,... to kiss you.." Oh, my God I still wish I was Roger Korby!
Instead of killing us both I would have nailed her at least twenty to thirty more times :-)

P.S. Why do all the stalagmites look like penises?

Diana Hunt said...

The stalagmites look like pneises because this is Star Trek we're talking about, everything in it has to do with sex.